Friday, January 29, 2010

CABBAGE SOUP (Lynne)

Today I went to Heaps for lunch with six friends. I ate whatever I wanted, which was a salad and mini pizza.

Top row, Cindy, Helen, Pam--who co-authors this blog. Bottom row: Venise, Annette, me and Faye. (Thanks to Pam for having pictures taken and for organizing the get together.)

So, because I ate whatever I wanted, I decided to eat cabbage soup for dinner. Jo--also a co-author of this blog, who may someday post--when she stops being up to her ears in house selling and house buying--send me the recipe. I four times'd it.

CABBAGE SOUP--This made a LOT because I'm planning on eating it non-stop until I loose weight. Okay, not non-stop, but you get the idea. I added tomato sauce and mushrooms, just because.

3 diced carrots

1 large--or two medium--onions, diced

a whole head of garlic, chopped

1/2 pound mushrooms, halved

12 cups fat-free broth (beef, chicken or vegetable--I used vegetable and chicken)

1/2 cup diced zucchini

1 whole green cabbage, chopped

2 cans green beans

1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

2 (8 oz.) tomato sauce

2 tsps dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp salt


Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat. Sauté the carrot, onion, garlic and mushrooms over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Stir in zucchini, cabbage and beans. Cook until cabbage and zucchini are still quite a bit crunchy. Eat every day for a week. Honestly. It makes a LOT.

2 comments:

Pam's Place said...

Lynne, the soup was scrumptious. The only thing I added was some shredded parmesan.

I want to tell you that you saved me, and you did, for about 10 minutes after I ate the zero point soup. Then I went scavenging because that naughty husband of mine came home from Day's with some cheese Danishes. What can I say? This has been a naughty week for me and I will pay the price on Monday. Unless I totally don't eat anything between now and then.

Thank you, dear friend, for the delicious soup. You tried, but I'm just too bad.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Dear Danish Pamela,

Do you remember that last week I ate a WHOLE bag of mint chocolate chips! And yes, I gained but guess what else? I'm actually not sorry. It fulfilled a great need in me. I'm sorry I gained but not sorry I ate the chocolate chips. So, if you enjoyed the Danish then good. Enjoy the memory, as I do.

And one or two Danish are not going to sabotage you weight loss. Tomorrow is another day and if it's crappy then the next day is another day too. And so what if you gain. I gained and somehow I'm still breathing in and out.