Friday, January 8, 2010

PAM'S WEEK ONE - She's Making Me Do It

I thought the blog was a great idea ---- for HER. But we got into this together, so here I am.

Today is Friday morning, the beginning of Day 5 of Week 1 of Weight Watchers. Well, Week 1 of several different stints with Weight Watchers over a greater number of years. How did I get here?! I was a skinny kid whose parents took her to the doctor because she appeared malnourished. Ok, underweight, "malnourished" is an exaggeration. I remember once as a young mom I was again underweight and had trouble gaining. Wellllll, whatever I did then seems to have paid off big time, pardon the pun. If this were AA, I would start by saying "My name is Pam, and I'm an overeater." I could say, "My name is Pam, and my thryoid is dead," but that would be a lie. My throid is alive and well, and way overworked.

Many years ago -- when I was thin, which is irrelevant, but I like saying it -- we had a neighbor whose name was Candy (yes it was), and she had been overweight all of her life. She finally found the determination to "diet" and lost so many pounds that she was a ghost of herself and I didn't recognize her. We weren't close friends, but one day she told me that she was having trouble stopping her diet at her "recommended" weight because she still saw herself as "fat" when she looked in the mirror. I bring this up because, despite what I see in the mirror, I still think of myself as the skinny kid who always had to eat, eat, eat to keep from blowing away. Those days are lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng gone, but the mind is a powerful thing.

Like Lynne, I anxiously await Monday's weigh in. I know I'm making progress because I find tying my shoes just a little less painful -- the bending over part, not the tying part. I've been "good" with my food choices, stayed within my points with the help of the weekly points allowance, and am getting better about drinking water. Doing this with a friend will make it more palatable (food reference here?) and not so much a punishment for being "bad" for so long. Weight Watchers emphasizes the need for support, in their meetings of course, and hopefully with those around us. Lynne and I will encourage and support each other. I know we can do this.

6 comments:

Annette said...

You are very brave girls (women)! I am not good at the accountable thing. Since it is an eternal principle, I better start changing that! I give you lots of hugs and encouragement, but absolutely no judgement. And, I promise I will not give you any cupcakes unless you specifically ask for them. Way to go!

Annette said...

PS I love the title of your blog!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Annette is not going to give us cupcakes? I thought she would make us some low fat, high fiber ones and them put them on her cupcake wagon.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS I was never a skinny child. sigh

Pam's Place said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam's Place said...

Our creative participant, Lynne, named the blog. I keep hoping some of her creativity will rub off on me.